So why am I doing this?

An art class assignment "create and update a blog" made me wonder what art really means. So I thought about it and came up with "Art is what makes you happy". I will spend time and words defining the statement, and if people want to contribute to the discussion, that's good too.

Art is what makes you happy - whoever you are.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

If I can understand it, its not art

I made a sculpture, for a design class, and showed pictures of the finished object at work. They had been hearing me talk about it and wanted to see how it came out. One of the guys looked at the pictures and said "I didn't know that could be called art". I asked why. He said "I like it and I figure if its something I can understand, its probably not art".

I am happy that he liked my sculpture. I told him that if he likes something, it just means that he likes it.

Art doesn't have to be difficult. But there are many people who think that art has to be difficult to understand, or is out of their reach, or is only good when its complicated. Then there are other people who want all the art they see to be pictures of something. Abstract isn't art for them.

What I think is that art can be what each person wants it to be. If Elvis painted on velvet makes you happy, then that is what art is for you. If the only art you accept needs to be explained to anyone who doesn't have an advanced degree in art, then that's what makes you happy.

Art makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment