So why am I doing this?

An art class assignment "create and update a blog" made me wonder what art really means. So I thought about it and came up with "Art is what makes you happy". I will spend time and words defining the statement, and if people want to contribute to the discussion, that's good too.

Art is what makes you happy - whoever you are.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Short Story

Janice sent me a story. It seems appropriate to post.
Subject: re what makes you happy
Reminds me of a short story I once read. An artist was not appreciated. No matter what he did, it was met with a big yawn. He became depressed and then came up with an idea. He stood at the top of a tall building, splashed buckets of paint over himself, and lept to his death. He was certain that at least this way he would go down in history as a martyr to art. People on the sidewalk were shocked and appalled to see the smashed body of the young artist, all the paint colors mingling with the body fluids. One young woman finally spoke up and said, "oh, it's beautiful". The young man with her said, "yes, but is it art"?

No comments:

Post a Comment