So why am I doing this?

An art class assignment "create and update a blog" made me wonder what art really means. So I thought about it and came up with "Art is what makes you happy". I will spend time and words defining the statement, and if people want to contribute to the discussion, that's good too.

Art is what makes you happy - whoever you are.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sandwich artist

I took a class recently in which we were assigned the task of making a 3-dimensional representation of a memory, or something that would invoke the memory. Most took this to mean a sculpture. It was a sculpture class.

One of my classmates made sandwiches. Bread and fillings, not sculpture. Then she distributed them to the class. This was her 3-dimensional representation of memory. I accept that a sandwich can invoke memory but I have difficulty seeing it as art.

Perhaps I would have been more accepting of sandwiches as art if I had not witnessed their construction. Saw how she licked her fingers between layering the ingredients. Watched her hair brush the tops of the sandwiches in progress. Noticed how she wiped her hands on her pants but never washed them before touching food. The sandwiches became distasteful as they were constructed.

Perhaps the art was in the discussion of other sandwiches that the class had experienced, brought on by these sandwiches. Art can be discussion.

Although art can be discussion and a sandwich can invoke a memory I still have difficulty finding her project to be fulfillment of the assignment. I also don't find it to be particularly artistic or creative.

But it must be art because it made her happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment