So why am I doing this?

An art class assignment "create and update a blog" made me wonder what art really means. So I thought about it and came up with "Art is what makes you happy". I will spend time and words defining the statement, and if people want to contribute to the discussion, that's good too.

Art is what makes you happy - whoever you are.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Things I don't get

I don't get excrement as art.

I have been told that the artist uses ugly materials to show that there is beauty in everything, and I have been told that I need to look beyond substance to see the form and composition. There are also symbolism issues that have been explored in more ways than I can think of.

Artists need to be able to express themselves in ways that reveal their vision and emotion to the rest of the world. Artists should not have to limit themselves to the socially acceptable or mainstream ideal. Art is meant to push the boundaries and make people ask questions.

All of this does not disguise the fact that its sewage. Waste. Shit.

I don't get it.

But it makes somebody happy

No comments:

Post a Comment